Monday, October 20, 2008

Incompetence is Alive and Well

Blog or rant, it is the same difference today. Medical incompetence is not just alive and well, it is thriving. After getting up at 4:30am, checking into the hospital at 5:30am, dad was hooked up to an IV and ready to go by 6:45am. Surgery was scheduled for 7:30am. At 10:30am dad was released from the hospital. His surgery was cancelled. Dad's regular physician, who had conducted the pre-op exam and tests, failed to fax the surgeon or the hospital the final clearance form. He also failed to return any pages or to respond to the calls thru his service---all attempts to resolve the oversight and proceed with the surgery. In fact, I still have not heard from the Dr. with an apology or explanation. My father was a trooper. I was the one who was livid.

For someone who rarely, if ever, even slightly raised her voice...I sure have been provided with a few too many opportunities in the last 2 years to get in touch with anger and to exercise my vocal chords. So, 'Dr. Useless' is now minus a patient.

Since I believe that everything does indeed happen for a reason then maybe this was a blessing in disguise. As so many unwanted events end up being for the best, perhaps he would have not handled the surgery at all well. Maybe the cancellation spared him of complications or worse.
It certainly has spared him from continuing with a bad doctor.

1 comment:

Christa said...

I'm so sorry to hear that my friend. As Farrah would say, good riddens to "Dr. Sh_t-For-Brains"!!!!