Sunday, July 27, 2008

Giclées

I am a traditional woman. I write everything long hand. I prefer a phone call to email. I don’t own a “crackberry.” I have an IPod sitting patiently in its’ original box. I loved spending 8 continuous hours in the darkroom creating the “perfect” photographic print by hand.

One of the life lessons I’ve been forced to learn is that the only constant is change…not easy for a rooted Taurus.

So, when I developed (no pun intended) a severe allergy to the darkroom photo chemicals I had no choice but to make a change and find a printer who had a similar feel and finesse for my fine art women images.


After years of trying just about every lab in southern California I finally found a master. She was a gifted printer who it turned out had no problem with change.
Her life took a completely different direction and she gave up printing forever.

By this time I was still shooting film and had no interest in even holding a digital camera. However, each new commercial assignment brought questions such as, “You shoot digital right?” and “Would you email me jpgs between 1 and 2 mgs.” You mean I have to get a computer?! Alright, you get the idea. Apparently I’ve come a long way. I even enjoy Photoshop now and think it is fun.

I have learned that Giclée is French for “sprayed ink.” It is a sophisticated technique and process that allows archival fine art photographs to be made from a digital source. I am unveiling a collection of new giclee images. Some were shot digitally by me, all were meticulously fine tuned in Photoshop by me, and printed-- by me!

Welcome to my new world

Judy Francesconi



My giclées are all open edition. They are titled and signed by me, but not numbered. They are digitally printed with archival inks on archival museum quality matte paper.
This allows new collectors to own fine art at an affordable price.

My line of silver gelatin hand printed original photographs are available as signed, numbered limited editions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,
I have just aquainted myself with giclees and think they're beautiful...as a collector of your work, I think this extension of your photo processing is a wonderful addition. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!!!
Suzanne